This is the latest in my series of posts on guest blogging. In case you missed past entries included info on why you should be guest blogging, how to find guest blogging opportunities and a some fabulous useful tips to make the process of guest blogging easier on you AND on the owner of the blog you are writing for.
One of the main benefits of guest blogging is having the opportunity for a byline or resource box that tells the reader about you and includes a link back to your site. Some blogs may have specific byline guidelines and if they do, you should follow them accordingly. This document will give you additional tips and some quick templates to help you along.
- Check for byline guidelines on the blog you’re writing for before proceeding.
- Make the link in your byline highly-relevant to your content. Readers will be more likely to click. This may mean linking to a specific page of your website, a special offer, etc.Include keywords in your link for search engine benefit. Conduct keyword research at http://wordtracker.com or using your favorite keyword tool to find a very specific keyword phrase that is readily searched for and describes your link.
- Include a specific call-to-action. Don’t just say, “My website is XXX” as it’s not compelling enough to get a click. Ask readers to sign up for your mailing list, download some free software, ask for a quote, etc.
What to Offer in Your Byline’s Call-to-Action
As noted in the tips above, we encouraged you to include a call-to-action in your byline. That doesn’t mean you have to ask people to buy something, but if you want the most results from your guest post, you want to ask readers to specifically do something.
You can offer:
- A subscription to your newsletter
- Invitation to a webinar.
- A free report.
- A free consultation.
- Software download.
- Tool download – think spreadsheet, worksheet, template, etc.
- Instructional / step-by-step video or tutorial related to the article.
Anything you can offer of value is perfect your call-to-action.
You can use the templates below as a ready-made guideline for your guest posting bylines. Feel free to use them as is and replace the red text with your own information. Or you can use bits and pieces. Whatever works for you.
Template: Free sign up for newsletter, publication, webinar etc.
[Your name] makes it easy for you [insert how you help people]. Sign up for [his/her] highly-acclaimed and surprisingly free [insert publication, etc] to find out how to [enter a specific result], [quickly, easily, inexpensively, etc].
Template: Free webinar / teleseminar series sign up
[Your name] is your host of the [frequency – daily, monthly, etc] [catchy name of webinar / teleminar series] that shows you how to [insert benefit / desired result]. Sign up to instantly download your first lesson free.
Template: Free report
Need a little extra help? For a complete guide that shows you exactly how to [insert specific and main benefit, related to the article], grab a copy of [name]’s [name of report]. It’s yours free and will save you plenty of [headache, time, money – be specific].
Template: Free consultation
For a free, no-obligation consultation, contact [insert name] by completing the [3-step / quick-response / something that shows it’s simple to do it] form at [insert location of form]. Set aside just [amount of time for consultation] and [he’ll/she’ll] how you can [benefit of your consultation/service].
Template: Software or Tool
[Insert your name] can help make the job go [X] times faster with her highly-acclaimed [insert software/tool name]. It allows you to [what it does + benefit], saving you tons of [benefit of the benefit]. [Download yours free / get a free trial] at [insert location].
Template: Instructional Video
Need a little visual? [insert name] shows you exactly how to [what you‘re teaching] [benefit – in 6 easy steps, etc.]. Go to [insert location] to watch a step-by-step video to get started [insert project, task] right away.
Template:: Step-by-step Instructions
Need a breakdown, step-by-step? [insert name], your go-to source for [subject matter / product type], breaks it down for you, making it simpler than ever to [insert project / task]. Go to [insert location] for a complete and easy-to-follow tutorial.